Tag Archives: webOs1.4.5

SyncML as Synergy Connector

Since a long time now I am using an eGroupware Server at home as my personal cloud. I tried some hacks to use it with webos, but none really worked out as I liked it. Most lead to data corruption and I always was required to leave my valuable data (what I’m doing everyday!!!) on big company servers like google.

SyncML on webOs 1.4.5

So I started a project to implement a SyncML Client for webOs, because SyncML worked good for me with Windows Mobile 5-6.5. I first tried to implement something based on some SyncML libraries. I managed to combile funambol for webOs and build a client app around that. It worked good for calendar syncs. But it never made me really happy. You need to manually fire up the app and start a sync and the sync is quite slow. There are some issues that reside deep inside the funambol library and in the iCal parsing I needed to do. Then this all was for webOs 1.4.5, which mostly was not  usable for webOs 2.x anymore that my new phones are all using (only my old Pixi Plus is on 1.4.5, still and comes with me as second phone just for calendar syncs since some time now). I won’t work on SyncML for webOs 1.4.5 anymore, but you can get the code and an ipkg here.

SyncML on webOs 2.x

As I said, my 1.4.5 version won’t work on webOs 2.x. I fixed it to basically run on 2.x (you can view that here) but never managed to fix the issues I had. There were bad conversion issues from iCal to the new calendar event structure in webOs 2.x.
But the worst issue with that approach was, that it would never be able to work as new and cute synergy connector. So I restarted from scratch and implemented SyncML and a new iCal parser in pure JavaScript (which made the libraries much more flexible and smaller and I understand them and can fix issues. :)). I (ab)used the last holydays to finish  those libraries and today debugged my fingers off, but now I am happy to announce that I managed to get something that syncs with my eGroupware Server via SyncML. There are still some missunderstandings between the two which my iCal Parser tries to circumvent. But it works.
It’s far from finished and still has the old app interface, but it is on a good way forward. You can have a look at it here.

My list of Todo’s

  • Build synergy integration
  • Build service for that
  • Rebuild App to use the service (for easier debugging)
  • Test the service
  • Modify account management  and sync management for better integration of calendar and contacts to add more datastores
  • Implement contacts sync (will require new or extended parser)
  • Modify app to view service logs and allow to send them per E-Mail
  • Optimize old eventCallback structure to be more database optimized and collect all adds, updates and deletes to do them in one batch.
  • Try to respect server max msg size by only adding like 10 objects to a message (currently sends all in one message and has reached like 20kb which is way over the server advertised limit of 10kb. Luckily that does not matter much to the server, as it seems).